Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Doing more with less

Hey. Oi! Como vai voce? Que tal! Qual e! What's up and all?

Things get difficult, confusing and frustrating us to no end. What can be done when this happens?
1. Take a breath and step back from the situation. The molehill only seems like a mountain because you have your face all up in it, yo!
2. Speak your mind but be mindful of others. Be willing to apologize when you are wrong. I have screwed up a lot.
3. There are others who have it worse than you. I am homeless but I live in a country where I can get help. Others live in this world who have it worse than me.
4. Everybody struggles. Give a hand, a moment, some understanding, compassion, and anything else positive to someone when they are down.


Why did I choose to use FreeBSD? I had a desktop which had a Sempron processor at 2.1GHz and 256M RAM. Fedora started requiring more memory and a graphics card- of which I did not have the second at that time. I hadn't dome much with Debian nor with OpenBSD or NetBSD.
FreeBSD worked with the computer as it was and allowed me to run Blender on it.
Later on, I bought a B&W PowerMac G3 with 400MHz processor and 256M RAM. I also bought an iMac G4 800MHZ and a Powermac QuickSilver which had an upgrade to 933MHz processor.

To deal with the lag that comes with different and older architectures, you need to set the kern.hz= value in /boot/loader.conf.

kern.hz=250 is good for servers
kern.hz=500 Slow for desktop and fast for a server.
kern.hz=1000 This is the standard.
kern.hz=1500 For low end audio and video production on systems with a decent- 1GHZ or higher- processor.
kern.hz=2000 For low end systems or systems dedicated to one
purpose.
kern.hz=2499 This is the upper limit before the ticks start causing a lag. You will need to patch the kernel for any increased rates of 2500 or greater.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for expressing yourself. Have a blessed day.